Monday, December 17, 2007

Kick Ass Study Session

Ok I'm definitely way too busy with all sorts of Christmas-related stuff, and my beloved mistress (i.e. chess) is not getting all the attention she demands. She is quite pissed I should say.

I did, however, find some time to satisfy her last weekend when I met up with two guys from my chess club, both of them rated around 2000. We went over all sorts of stuff for 7 hours straight! I think that must have been the most beneficial chess study session for me to date. We went over a few of my games, looked at openings, studied end games... cool stuff. My head was spinning towards the end as there was just sooo much information to take in... if I can retain even half of it I'll be doing great :)

I've read that to master anything in life, you need to internalize at least 50,000 chunks of information on the subject you want to master. Well, it was pretty obvious to me that these two guys are a lot closer to the 50,000 chunks than I am. It's amazing how familiar they are with a shitload of positions... I guess there is no quick fix for this, it will take a lot of time and effort to a) get myself exposed to all those positions and b) thoroughly understand them.

Chess improvement is a long and rocky road...

4 comments:

SamuraiPawn said...

I know what you mean with it being hard to finding time for chess around X-mas. I suspect we'll have enough to do after the holidays with the team and all. I'm really looking forward to it! Keep up the good work and don't forget to allow yourself to be a bonafide tactical slacker every now and then. ;)

Chessaholic said...

lol... thanks samurai! it's good to know that I'm not the only one :)

I'm really looking forward to the league games after the holidays, should be fun!

Liquid Egg Product said...

More-or-less getting 7 hours of free lessons; that's pretty sweet.

50,000 chunks...rocky road...also pretty sweet...

Anonymous said...

That study session sounds awesome. It's cool that they are willing to sit down and really help someone who's trying to get where they are.